After 40 years as a force in the couture performance costume industry, Satin Stitches Ltd. is excited to announce that Mercedes Bergman has been promoted to the position of Director of Operations. Satin Stitches is a Minnesota based company founded by Deborah J Nelson, who will continue to be involved with the creative oversight of the business.Read More
Do you want a little (or a lot) of bling added to your team uniforms or solo costumes?
Our costume specialists at Satin Stitches regularly add rhinestones to custom dance costumes and uniforms that we produce for our clients. Occasionally we receive requests for rhinestone embellishments on costumes and uniforms that have been manufactured by other companies, or to add more rhinestones to an already existing Satin Stitches costume.Read More
With all the showcase events around town, and with many of our social dancers on a limited budget, how about advice about how to enhance evening wear to “glam” it up for a ballroom showcase performance? Ideas such as putting rhinestones on belts, or adding fur or feathers to sleeve or dress hems come to mind.
‘Tis the season for attending holiday parties and presenting holiday dance performances. And unless you plan on purchasing entirely new outfits for these upcoming, festive events, you can bedazzle and be-deck your current clothing and costumes with holiday cheer and save some cash!
We occasionally get asked: How do we replace missing rhinestones – what is the best glue?
Years ago, we recommended any ‘super-glue’, but currently, we have decided that the easiest glue to work with, is a glue named ‘Loctite Super-Glue–Control Gel’. This is what we use, when we need to glue anything that isn’t ‘HOT FIX’.Read More
Tags: Hot Costume Care Tip
Preventative care for your costumes is important! 'A stitch in time saves nine' is sage advice, and it could possibly save you some embarrassment, too!Read More
Oh, the controversy! Was I shocked? Not really, after indeed, being shocked that Juan Pablo and Cheryl didn’t have enough votes to make it to the Finale. Yes, I feel for all you viewers who still see “Dancing with the Stars!” as a bonafide ‘dance contest’ where whoever dances the best, (in several million ‘judges’ opinions) should ‘win’. Please get real! It is a popularity contest, with some fabulous dancing and fabulous (most of the time) costumes. Can’t we just enjoy the spectacle???Read More
- All colors are not always available in all fabrics – we work with what is available and do our best to meet your needs, but certain prints or colors simply may not be offered in all fabrics.
- Generally, stretch knit fabrics do not match non-stretch woven fabrics - These fabrics are made differently and therefore the colors are going to look different. Don't count on being able to find an exact match for a stretch fabric with a non-stretch fabric.
- Costume fabrics today are not generally expec
In any case…it was a fun and exciting evening of costumes (and dancing)! And I didn’t hate ANY costumes. Both the ‘Dedication Round’ and the ‘Judges Choice Round’ showed nothing but ‘fit for the finals’ costumes.Read More
7 Reasons Why Costumes That Fit Well, Last Longer.
If your costume fits:
- You don’t have to safety-pin it – pins can cause holes
- It won’t overstretch and break any seams
- You won’t stress the fabric and cause ripping of the fabric itself
- Elastic won’t overstretch and give out
- Buttons and other closures won’t pop off, sometimes causing tears
- Wear-lines won’t be created on hems, where they are turned up to a shorter length
- Parts of your costume won’t catch on things because they are so baggy, causing tearing
At Satin Stitches, we offer 6 different width sizes in our standard women’s sizes (more than other companies), and then 3 different length sizes, for a total of 18 sizes from XS to XL.
Additional, we have Extended Sizes and Child Sizes, so your entire team can get a FABULOUS FIT. And our concert and show choir dresses are available in our dress sizes 0 to 26, also, all in Short, Medium and Long lengths.
Men’s sizes also incorporate our extensive sizing options with a full range of 34 to 52.