April is the perfect time to properly care for your costumes! You have the power, right now to ensure their survival for next year, regardless of whether you will use them for your varsity or JV team or choose to sell them to another group!
The 7 "don'ts" for the end of your season:
- Don't lose track of your costumes! Be sure to get them back from all team members and have a system in place for keeping track of each garment!
- Don't store your costumes when they need repairs! You will likely forget which parts of certain costumes need to be repaired and, when it comes time to start your new season, you will have to go through the process all over again.
- Don't forget about missing parts! Assess what needs to be replaced and make note of it!
- Don't store your costumes when they are dirty! Stains will set in the longer they go unlaundered.
- Don't store your costumes when they are stinky! Unfortunately, no, costumes won't un-stink themselves.
- Don't store your costumes on hangers! Hangers can distort the shoulders of costumes, if you want your garments looking their best for years to come, avoid storing them on hangers.
- Don't store your costumes in airtight containers! Trust me, bad things can happen.