At Satin Stitches, we HATE to see dirty or ruined performance costumes, when they could be kept in great shape and last many years. Here is a refresher on how to keep your costumes fresh!
The best way to keep perspiration and deodorant marks out of a costume (to reduce the need to launder) is to wear disposable garment shields and/or wear an absorbent, tight white, short-sleeved T-shirt under a long-sleeved garment. The T-shirt will soak up all the sweat that your body generates. Then wash the T-shirt before your next performance. For sleeveless costumes, consider a body liner (camisole leotard).
- NEVER store damp and stinky costumes in an airtight garment bag.
- ALWAYS allow damp, stinky costumes to air-dry in air conditioning or cool, dry air.
- ALWAYS spot clean any soiled areas immediately (if you have tested for spot cleaning.)
- ALWAYS use FRESH AGAIN® to eliminate odors, before storing.
- NEVER store costumes in a damp, humid area.
- NEVER store costumes in the sun.
- NEVER wash performance costumes too often, as you can easily ruin the integrity of the fabrics and/or trims.
- ALWAYS test the launder-ability of your costume on your Satin Stitches CARE SWATCH which we provided with your order.