Many times a broken zipper can be fixed. Examine the problem area on the zipper to make your determination. Most regular clothing zippers are made with plastic coils. Heavy-duty zippers have teeth made of molded plastic or metal. The teeth or coil are always attached to a fabric strip called 'zipper tape'.Read More
Do you have a plan for your competition performance if someone forgets their uniform or parts of their costume? If not, YOU SHOULD!
Using appliques for decorating ballroom dance costumes has always been a major design option. And currently, appliques are also being used on all other types of dance costumes and evening apparel. Appliques are very much on trend, and should be for years, as all trimming trends last until the next trimming trend comes along!
What do you do when the armpits of your hard-to-clean costume get a little less than desirable, or you unexpectedly spilled your taco salad on your uniform? It's moments like these that require acting fast with spot cleaning!
When you have a costume or uniform that is potentially difficult to launder by the usual methods, such as dry cleaning, or machine and/or hand washing. Target specific areas by spot cleaning, rather than just wearing it dirty.
For flawless spot cleaning technique, simply follow these guidelines:Read More
What is your criteria for ordering team costumes or uniforms?
Is ‘cheap’ at the top of your list for choosing team costumes?
‘Low bid’ may get you cheap, but what else might it get you?
- Costumes that may not survive a rigorous performance season because of lack-luster manufacturing processes.
- Costumes that may require alterations to make them fit your team because of a lack of size options.
- Costumes that may not ‘work’ for your routine because they were badly designed.
- Costumes that may not be re-orderable, if needed.
- Costumes that may not arrive when you expect, as they have no guaranteed delivery policy.
- Costumes that may not launder as you expect, and you end up with ruined costumes.
Satin Stitches’ custom costuming may not be for all dance and cheer teams, or show choir groups, but when you need unique, well-made and well-designed garments, please consider our services.
If you would like to try a less expensive alternative to our custom costumes, check our customizable costume options in the Web Store.
Do you need LAST MINUTE sizing alterations for any of your costumes?
Work with a seasoned, professional alteration person or company (such as Satin Stitches), who should know what is possible or not.
Here are a few general guidelines:
- Extensions can be added to the crotch of a leotard to extend for a longer girth. (More can be added it you are adding a skirt, pant or short over the leotard).
- An added section of fabric can be added below the waist area of a biketard, if the biketard is worn with a skirt over it.
- Decorative belt-style bands can be added to lengthen the torso of everyone’s unitard.
- If design features aren't in the way, side seams can be taken in. The center back on a costume may also be taken in.
- If matching fabric is available - a gusset (added piece) can be seamed into the side seams or center back of a garment to extend the width.
- Collars can be extended. Pant legs and sleeves can sometimes be extended. Both can be shortened or taken in.
- Bodices can be nipped in to create a more contoured shape.
There are many creative options that COULD be used if you have a little imagination and sewing expertise!
After 40 years as a force in the couture performance costume industry, Satin Stitches Ltd. is excited to announce that Mercedes Bergman has been promoted to the position of Director of Operations. Satin Stitches is a Minnesota based company founded by Deborah J Nelson, who will continue to be involved with the creative oversight of the business.Read More
Do you want a little (or a lot) of bling added to your team uniforms or solo costumes?
Our costume specialists at Satin Stitches regularly add rhinestones to custom dance costumes and uniforms that we produce for our clients. Occasionally we receive requests for rhinestone embellishments on costumes and uniforms that have been manufactured by other companies, or to add more rhinestones to an already existing Satin Stitches costume.Read More
With all the showcase events around town, and with many of our social dancers on a limited budget, how about advice about how to enhance evening wear to “glam” it up for a ballroom showcase performance? Ideas such as putting rhinestones on belts, or adding fur or feathers to sleeve or dress hems come to mind.
‘Tis the season for attending holiday parties and presenting holiday dance performances. And unless you plan on purchasing entirely new outfits for these upcoming, festive events, you can bedazzle and be-deck your current clothing and costumes with holiday cheer and save some cash!
We occasionally get asked: How do we replace missing rhinestones – what is the best glue?
Years ago, we recommended any ‘super-glue’, but currently, we have decided that the easiest glue to work with, is a glue named ‘Loctite Super-Glue–Control Gel’. This is what we use, when we need to glue anything that isn’t ‘HOT FIX’.Read More
Tags: Hot Costume Care Tip